|Duration||Start 1 December, 2017 till 1 August, 2020|
|Field of expertise||Developing Sustainable and Resilient Cities and Communities|
|Policy field(s)||Natural Disaster management|
|Funding||Het Nederlandse Rode Kruis|
Following the Hurricane that struck St. Maarten, Saba and St. Eustatius on September 6 2017, Dutch municipalities contacted their Association of Netherlands Municipalities (VNG) to define a common response to support the islands. VNG called upon its members to donate to the fundraising campaign of the Netherlands Red Cross (NLRC) and they agreed to work together in the recovery phase.
NLRC and VNG have agreed that 50% of the funds donated by Dutch municipalities to NLRC will be available for recovery support activities to be developed and implemented by VNG International, the international cooperation agency of the Association of Netherlands Municipalities (VNG International), in close collaboration with NLRC to create synergies.
The overall objective of the project is to contribute to the recovery of the islands, in particular St Maarten, focusing both on the immediate follow up of the hurricane, but more particularly on the preparedness for future disasters.
The expected results of the project are therefore:
1. A revisited and upgraded disaster management structure, including corresponding legislation, has been developed
2. Politicians and civil servants of line ministries and police, fire brigade and ambulance, as well as community representatives have been trained on the disaster management structure
3. Improved access of government to information for disaster management purposes
4. Improved services related to psychological preparedness
Building Back Better
1. More effective and efficient implementation of the recovery programmes on Saba
2. A disaster proof and sustainable building code have been defined and carries the consensus of the government and the community.
3. Efficient legal codes and norms for recovery on Saba and St Eustatius
This project is implemented in cooperation with the Netherlands municipalities, RAV Brabant, IFV and Brandweer NL