The programme’s overall objective is to strengthen resilience at local government level in order to improve living conditions of the local population and refugees in host communities and refugee settlements.
Its purpose is to maintain service delivery levels at local government level and enable longer-term planning for spatial and economic development, in the context of increased urbanization and pressure on resources.
Primary beneficiaries and target groups:
1. Host communities of Syrian refugees;
2. Syrian refugees.
Secondary beneficiaries and target groups:
1. Local governments in Jordan and Lebanon
2. Line ministries
3. Unions of Municipalities
7. Public and private sector agencies in targeted areas
The expected results of the project are:
1. Developed capacities of local governments and UNHCR in integrated spatial planning and longer term economic development planning;
2. Developed capacities of local governments and UNHCR in municipal service delivery (e.g. water, sanitation, waste, transport);
3. Quick-win interventions completed in support of the planning process and improvement of service delivery;
4. Improved governance structures in place to ensure sustainability of capacities build at local government level;
5. New approaches and models related to humanitarian response to conflicts are applied by UNHCR, UNDP, national and local authorities.