The wider objective of the project is to achieve progress in the EU Integration process of the Albanian government based on a long term strategy before accession.
The specific objectives of the project are:
1. Support to the implementation of the obligations deriving from the SAA;
2. Support to the harmonisation, implementation and enforcement of the EU acquis in the Albanian legislation;
3. Strengthen the capacity building of the responsible civil servants to enhance their role in the EU legal harmonisation, screening and accession negotiation processes; and
4. Support to the implementation of the Albanian government’s EU Communication Strategy.
The expected results of the project are:
1. Support to the implementation of the obligations deriving from the SAA:
Annual National Plan for EU Integration (NPEI) developed and implemented;
A coherent Public Administration Reform Plan aiming at strengthening the capacities of civil servants put in force;
EU integration process capacities of the Inter-Institutional Working Groups strengthened;
ICT systems to support the process of implementing SAA obligations updated and developed; and
ICT system for supporting the accession process (negotiation procedures) established.
2. Support to the harmonisation, implementation and enforcement of the EU acquis in the Albanian legislation:
MEI capacities on EU acquis approximation, implementation and enforcement enhanced;
Civil servants’ EU legal approximation capacities, English reporting and NPEI drafting capacities reinforced;
ICT System on legal harmonization (including tables of concordance) developed;
Civil servants’ capacities strengthened through EU acquis general training modules, and workshops; and
General capacity building activities on the use of gap analysis and action plans for the EU acquis chapters organised and delivered.
3. Strengthen the capacity building of the responsible civil servants to enhance their role in the EU legal harmonisation, screening and accession negotiation processes:
Training Needs Assessments (TNA) modules conducted by ASPA with the support of SMEI III upgraded to determine the target groups and the training interventions needed;
Training Strategy to meet the needs of the Albanian public servants to assume responsibility for negotiating the EU accession and approximation, implementation and enforcement of the EU acquis drafted;
In-house training capacities through organization of Training of Trainers (ToT) programmes in order to increase the number and quality of domestic trainers within the ASPA system enhanced;
Civil servants’ capacities to open the screening and accession negotiations processes enhanced;
Current coordination structure for the European integration process and evaluated and options and recommendation on how to improve it and adjust it to the future challenges proposed; and
Sustainable structures on the basis of the capacity development plan and respective recommendations established.
4. Support to the implementation of the Albanian government’s EU Communication Strategy:
EU Communication Strategy of the Government of Albania implemented with particular attention to civil society.